Sunday, February 25, 2007

MMA Everywhere

I was reading Andrew Sullivan's blog (not related to MMA) when suddenly I see Bisping's face staring at me from my screen. When the sport has entered into the consciousness of gay conservative (of doubt) bloggers, we know the sport has arrived.

On an unrelated note, I forgot to comment on Shogun's performance last night in Vegas. When he tools his opponent standing, I'm always impressed by his striking abilities, and the way he can mix in the occasional jumping-reverse-roundhouse, but this fight with Overeem was the third occasion I've seen Shogun losing the fight on the feet (not getting owned, but losing). The other two were against Overeem the first time, and against Cyborg in Cage Rage. In all three of the fights, Shogun has willingly mixed it up on the feet, but eventually moved the conflict to the ground where he dispatched his opponent with ruthless bombs; that shows heart, a willingness to change strategy, and well rounded skills.

Unfortunately, I think that raises doubts about his chances against two other top 205ers - Dan Henderson and Chuck Liddell. Both of these guys have murderous fists (Hendersons having been acquired fairly recently), and both are better wrestlers than Shogun. If things were to sour on the feet for Rua, I don't see him being able to take them down, and certainly not dispatch them with punches. A submission is possible, and I like the ChuteBoxe fighter's willingness to attempt them, but neither he nor his stablemates have ever shown themselves to be real finishers with submissions.

No comments: