Sunday, February 25, 2007

UFC Rolling In Money

According to UFCmania (Via Dave Meltzer's wrestling observer), the UFC made a cool $220,000,000 in PPV buys last year

Damn. I mean, I knew they would be making some dough now that they were on cable and entering into the popular conciousness, but I had no idea. That doesn't include what they make on tickets, merchandise, or from Spike TV.

Consider also, that their fighter payrolls pale in comparison. For UFC 67, the fighters took home only $803,000, heavily skewed towards a few fighters, of course. Actually though, UFC 67 was one of the better UFCs as far as the fighters are concerned; only one fighter made the usual 3 grand, and a good half the card made five figures.

Now, I'm a proper capitalist, so I think it's fine that the UFC is making money hand over fist; I'm sure the Fertitas absorbed some losses when they first purchased the organization. But it's good to see fighter salaries going up; these guys are as hardworking as any. Here's hoping they continue to rise.

No comments: